19 May 2012

freakin me out, wearin a mask :)

Here are some little ceramic masks I've been working on for about 10 years. Ha. I never really thought of it that way until now. Like many things though, these hand-painted masks are one of those projects that I've started and stopped, started and stopped a few times over the past decade.







 The pattern on the Brick Face mask was probably drawn out in 2002 or 2003 but I just painted it yesterday. France says it's one of her favorites. It makes me think of a superhero with the power of invisibility blending into a wall. And Poison Ivy.

The Sugar Skull mask was done yesterday when I drank too much coffee.  Then I painted Captain America.  I know that's not really Captain America but after I got through with it I was like "Shit, that looks almost just like Captain America" - so that's what I ended up thinking of him as.











The black mask was done back in 2002 or 2003.  I chose a pretty basic pointillism technique, overlapping different shades of pastel markers.  The black is paint pen.
This blue lady and the green/amber lady in the group photo were both done in 2002 or 2003.  IIRC, I drew them out freehand with marker then went back over them with paint and sharpie.


No comments: